Monday, April 14, 2008

Four


I called this painting "Four". I probably could have got a little more creative with the title. (Titles are not my forte.) I suppose I could say that about the meaning of the painting as well. I often express the things that are foremost on my mind, of which there are now three, by putting representations of them on a woman's head. Sometimes they are birds, or birds with baby heads, or sheep. In this case they are bird houses, dwellings. I used this symbol because the frame of mind she is in. She is feeling like a vessel, she is the keeper of the dwellings of her little birdies. So, here is the simple part: She is thinking about taking on a fourth dwelling, becoming a vessel a fourth time. But does she have room? Can she do it? Should she do it?

The buildings are the world. The other people, grown ups probably. She sees hers as a little more dainty, precious and beautiful.

I love the ribbon across the bottom of the painting, winding its way delicately through her fingers. I have found myself adding this element to a lot of paintings. I think it represents her passions, her voice and creative expression. It is grounding, it is truth, it is honest and essential to her happiness.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh she so has room!
She can do it, but it's not my place to say she should. :)

ducklips said...

I love that your paintings are such an autobiography. Every time I look at your blog I think, oh, I was just talking about that w/ her. With that said, boy you paint fast!

jennie said...

I HOPE she has room! I'd be so sad if she didn't! (I really want my kids to have cousins their age, can you tell?) Do you like how I assume you are talking about yourself in this painting?? I love it, BTW.

Morgen said...

If she is thinking it then she should MAKE the room.