Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Apis mellifera

Last night a bee crossed my path
across the dimly lit kitchen floor.
In a heightened state of emotion
I had just exclaimed loudly in my mind,
"This is hard! Being a parent, being
a wife, it's so hard!"
And there it was,
ominously under my foot.

The bees in my paintings
represent a dichotomy -
they sting and they make sweet honey.
My friend had come to remind me
this dichotomy exists in all things.
Sweetness and sorrow,
pleasure and pain,
courage and fear.

Then I squashed it.


3 comments:

IronLawGirl said...

Saturday Drake picked up a bee because why not right? They're interesting. But it stung his cute little chubby hand. So Gwen pushed it in the pool to die.

Kate Horowitz said...

Sometimes it's good to look a symbol in the eye, stare into its soul, stomp on it and move on.

(Also, yay poetry!)

Cassandra Barney said...

Well written sister.