Monday, April 19, 2010

On Friendship and a Sunday Drawing

I liked my dear friend Elise's comment about inspiring creativity in each other (she does the same for me).  In the middle of a paragraph describing eccentrics, Dr. Weeks threw in this line: Many of them are loners.  I think it can go either way.  I have wondered if it is too much to ask for an ambitious artist, LDS, raw-foodie, home-birthing, soccer coach who has daughters and loves to run, bike, swim, race and get fully absorbed in a good book to move in next door?  It would be lovely if our chickens could play together.  I sometimes forget that other people aren't as totally excited about something as me that is probably a bit outside of the norm, let alone have any idea what I am talking about.  "You know, because it didn't go over 118 degrees, so, you know, enzymes and stuff."  Note to self: Blank stare = no idea what I'm talking about, must change subject immediately.  On the other hand, mulit-hobbied people can have friends with a vast variety of interests.  A rucksack brimful of topics of conversation at the ready.  Loner is sounding more and more appealing.

I am very lucky to have a husband who is easy going, open minded, and willing to try new things.  He seriously had no idea what he was getting into when he married me.  I was just twenty!  I didn't even know who I was yet.  We were talking this morning about how different we are now, eleven years later, and how different we would probably be if we hadn't been influencing each other for all of our adult years.   I like that we got to grow up together.  I think it helped soften the blow.

9 comments:

pamela said...

but remember when you ate a hot dog in NYC? it is honestly one of my favorite emily memories of all time! so funny. you were overcome, or rather, i think you said you were "caught between the moon and new york city".

megan said...

Elise is so wise. Natalie and I saw you and Gavin running at the Pat Tillman run. We were probably 10 or so feet ehind you guys, but didn't have the spark to speed up o say hi. Keep hoping for that neighbor. I'm sure she is out there just waiting to move to Chandler, AZ!

Unknown said...

Fun Megan! Wish we would have seen you. Way to go on the race!

That's funny, Pam. One of the more precious moments of my life! Thanks for the memory.

pamela said...

of course though em, i would be ecstatic to have someone who grows wheat grass for drinking and home births live next door, i really would! especially you.

Ging said...

No blank stare here. I understand completely. I "haunt" your blog" so I can remember that what I think and feel and wish really matter and I can do something about it. Nice post. I wish I had chickens and I wish they could play together with yours. After all yours help you make decisions and that is invaluable. I would want my chickens to learn that. If I had some. Chickens that is, not decisions.

Morgen said...

Ha! I was wondering if you would move next door to me! I'm LDS, I paint, garden, have chickens, eat raw food, blog, and have six daughters. We'd be perfect neighbors. Just once, I would like sommeone to appreciate the fact that I have a Cuckoo Maran!

Unknown said...

OK, but if you are asking me to leave Arizona winters you might have to come to me. I'll stuff bell peppers with pate for us while the chickens mingle.

Morgen said...

I live in Mesa. There's a market over here that sells peppers four for a dollar. Yum. I met you, your sister and father at Decor Unique two years ago. You told me about M. Graham walnut oil and your dad told me about underpainting in acrylics. I told you to enter the Church art competition. I brought two of my daughters. After meeeting you, I went and bought some chickens. That was a fun day.

ducklips said...

Wow! I feel so honored. Really, no sarcasm there.

Em, you are one of a kind. I don't think you will ever find someone exactly like you. Maybe you could find someone with 3 or 4 of the same interests and then you could introduce them to the others.

How are the eggs coming by the way?