Friday, April 16, 2010

On Drive

I've been working on writing a very serious business plan.  My online research for this project (not to be confused with self-indulgent, time-sucking internet surfing) has brought up some interesting ideas and intriguing people.

For example, I discovered a new word: entelechy.  Derived from the Greek word for "having a goal" or "the supposed vital principle that guides the development and functioning of an organism."  Psychologist Deirdre Lovecky said, "Entelechy is a particular type of motivation, need for self-determination, and an inner strength and vital force directing life and growth to become all one is capable of being."

Tim Burton said, "The tricky thing about being in the entertainment industry is that basically no matter how much money is involved, how good the life is, the thing that still compels you is that thing inside."  It's what my dad calls the "burning in the belly."

I think the key to propelling the driven is curiosity, which compels creativity and activates drive.

1 comment:

ducklips said...

I love the way you've gone with your blog lately. It's almost like listening to the inside of someone's head.

The drive to create can be very strong. I think I go in waves. Sometimes I feel a strong urge to create. I get rather testy if I can't take the time to do it. Which shows how much I like your earlier blog, about taking the time to be creative. I find it also helps to surround yourself with creative people, or to incite others around you to be creative.

I think that's one of the reasons it was so easy to be friends with you. You always inspired me to reclaim my creative side, instead of getting carried away in the mundane, day-to-day...