Monday, February 11, 2008

My name is Simon


You will never hear me boast of my drawing skills. (I wear down erasers faster than... ezra can throw her bowl of oatmeal on the floor... again.) But, I do love to draw. I made a New Year's Resolution to find a figure drawing session where I can draw figures for an hour or two once a week. I'm still working on that - hey, it's only February. My yoga teacher always says, "Practice doesn't make perfect, but it does make us better." No idea what she's talking about, but what is perfection anyway? I would like to be better at drawing. I think my paintings would improve as well as my confidence in putting out ideas.

This drawing is done on a recycled litho plate. It is for a show at Art Access Gallery in Salt Lake City this May. I am doing four of them and they are all about what is on their minds. Dinner: important for little bodies who shun veggies, process can be enjoyed but often feels like a chore, usually interrupts quality work time, requires creativity and mental effort, efforts rewarded with deliciousness and satisfaction at fulfilling one's responsibility, tends to come around again every single night.

More to come.

3 comments:

jennie said...

Looks like fun! I'm impressed, not one complaint on your blog about your stolen artwork.

I think you should post pictures of them, so you can advertise what was stolen. You never know who might see them and solve the mystery!!!

ducklips said...

I love your little series here. It's so true, no matter what else you have going on, in the back of your mind, you are still thinking about what in the world to make for dinner.

Can't wait to see the next one.

megan said...

you and my brother chris should exchange vegitarian recipes. he is an incredible, and creative cook