Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Secrets Revealed

Now that the gift giving is done, I can show what I have been so excited about. I had so much fun making these trays for my family. I was tempted to switch careers from painting to mixed-media collage! Wouldn't that be fun. My mom and dad's tray is entitled "Russle and Barbara are having a Party." Those are their bowling names. Pete, my brother, and Jenn's is a tribute to their love. I used a printed out copy of a painting I did of her and drew a little image of him and hung it on the tree with fruit-hearts. I made queen bee for my sister, Sari. She acts like royalty on occasion (I mean that in a good way), so I thought it would be fitting. My oldest brother, Josh, and his wife Lisa got my favorite, for zen purposes. It has a nice composition that I like to look at. My oldest sister, Cass, and Dan got a modge-podged paper doll, with a little felted coat. I color copied the image and gave them a few copies because I knew how hard it would be not to cut her out and play.

I think they liked them, once they figured out that they were trays. There was a little confusion upon opening that did not ease my homemade-gift-giving apprehension.

It felt good to take December off and just do some creative stuff. I have rejuvenated my creative wells. It's good to switch gears sometimes and start again with a clear head. I have some good stuff about to happen and can hardly wait to jump in and start whipping out these ideas filling my brain.

4 comments:

jennie said...

The only confusion that set in with the gift opening, was that we were all confused why you didn't want us to hang them on our walls!!! So... I didn't hang mine, I hung a shelf especially so I could prop the tray up on it. I ABSOLUTELY love it. I'm such a romantic, and Pete is so sentimental... it's perfect for us. Love you to death!

Anonymous said...

I was onl confused because I was tryingto figure out how I could keep ALL OF THEM. I couldn't figure out how to do it withot everybody noticing. You always make thoughtful gifts which are the very best kind. Love ya!

Lindsey said...

Emily you are amazing! I am so jealouse of your creativity, and to top off it you wash it all down with talent.

ducklips said...

I love your trays. I am so excited to see them on your blog because I was trying to explain them and couldn't really do them justice.
Thanks for sharing all your creative ideas w/ us.
Can't wait to see all the new paintings coming out.