Wednesday, July 25, 2007
I made some progress on my Julia painting yesterday. I try to paint my first layer of flesh monochromatic. It's usually hard not to add in all sorts of colors, rosy cheeks and whatnot, but I stuck to it with this one. I think it gives the face more depth in the end. Hair, on the other hand, I try to nail on the first round, with the exception of a few highlights. The blue in the background is the color I started on, gesso tinted with acrylic - what a delicious color. I'll have a hard time painting over it, but I've left a gesso background before and it looked icky after liquining. I get a kick out of watching a painting progress, so I'll probably keep you up to date with this one.