Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Alcatraz

Well, I can't say that I did "it," but I did something.  Our escape from Alcatraz was canceled due to San Francisco fog.  We did an alternate swim, which took us plenty into the ocean.  It was exciting and wonderful to swim with the water tossing me about.  I came a long way for this race.  I learned how to swim for one thing.  And, I conquered a colossal fear of the open water.  There was a lot of time spent thinking about how I could get out of this, but I am so glad I stuck with it.  Now, I have to do it again next year!  After talking about it for a whole year, it is pretty unsatisfying not to be able to say I did the real thing.  So, I have one year to get fast enough to out swim the sharks.
P.S. Thanks brother and sister for being so great!  Sari stuck with me the whole swim, even though she is way so much faster than me.  After the race, we biked across the Golden Gate and then some, and ended the long day with a short run so we could call it a tri.  We had a lot of fun.

4 comments:

Sue Ann said...

Very Impressive! Loves to you all. Gotta love the sibs.

megan said...

That is so awesome! I hope you get to do it next year. You should go to youtube and watch the steve nash vitamin water commercial. There are actually a few of them and I don't know what the exact title is. It talks about being faster than sharks though.

Morgen said...

Oh my gosh! You are so amazing! I am so impressed with your HUGE accomplishment.

ducklips said...

Yay! I am so impressed and excited for you all at the same time. It sounds like an amazing time, even if it wasn't the "actual" swim with the sharks. You'll get it next year.