Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Self Portrait II


Well, you asked for it, so I dug it out for you to see. I painted this self-portrait a decade ago, when I was twenty or twenty-one. It was just after we got married and I was thinking about marriage, covenants, time, and offspring. It was a contemplation on time versus eternity that could make your head spin. It's a huge painting, almost four feet tall. It's good to look back from time to time and see how far you've come. It's also good to realize that though you have come a long way, you are still you and have maintained your you-ness through a decade of influences, opinions, outside ideas and expectations.

4 comments:

ducklips said...

Yea! Thanks for digging up your storage.
It's so interesting to see that your style is still so much the same, but gotten better. This portrait is neat but pretty intense. It's rather haunting. Gives me kind of a Frieda Kahlo feeling. I like how your symbolism has gotten more subtle, but still just as present.
Your skills still amaze me. I think you have gotten better, but even 10 years ago, wow!

Lindsey said...

I love how comfortable that sweet little baby is. That will help me not to feel so sorry for my little one next time I am with child. While your "digging" out old ones, I don't know if you hung onto it, but dig out the "whipping up a batch of babies" one and let's have a looksy at it. Why didn't I buy it from you when I had a chance!? Oh well, good thing you're just going on to bigger and better.

Unknown said...

Linny, you can have it! ... if I can find it. I'll give it a go and let you know.

Suzy said...

I just realized that's our wedding dress. I LOVE this painting! I love the baby and of course, I love the heart.